Legal Secretary 1
|Title:||Legal Secretary 1|
|Department:||Child Support Unit|
Job Title: Legal Secretary 1 Department: Child Support Enforcement Agency
Reports To: Unit Supervisor Salary: $26,951 - $32,341.00
FUNCTION: Employees in this job perform a variety of legal secretarial duties such as preparing legal documents and correspondence, maintaining legal files, and providing information to others. The work requires knowledge of legal, secretarial, office practices.
- Maintains legal files (both paper & electronic); prepares and sets up files, organizes documents, and files documents in designated order; retrieves/replaces files;
- Prepares, types, enters, proofreads and processes legal and administrative correspondence and documents;
- Adheres to legal document standards to ensure proper format and completeness for court acceptance;
- Communicates with clients, opposing counsel, courts, law enforcement agencies and the general public;
- Updates case information;
- Determines need for and requests supplies, equipment, and repair and maintenance services through agency channels;
- Provides reception desk support as needed;
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls; responds to inquiries;
- Inputs, retrieves, updates and deletes information using computerized databases;
- Verifies information for accuracy and completeness;
- Prepare timesheets and assist in collecting leave sheets for payroll completion as needed;
- Performs all other duties assigned, delegated or required of the Legal Secretary as well as those prescribed by law;
- Conducts business in accordance with federal statutes and guidelines, the Ohio Revised Code, and the Ohio Administrative Code.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform in a professional manner under stress when confronted with tight deadlines;
- Ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures and to follow instructions
- Applies excellent interpersonal skills, including effective oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates flexibility, adaptability, dependability, problem-solving skills, and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Demonstrates a professional attitude and appearance and has excellent customer service skills;
- Ability to comprehend a variety of legal documents and court documents including rulings, judgments, indictments, plea agreements, sentencing documents, rulings, motions, appeals, subpoenas, expungements, court dockets, mail, forms, reports, memos and correspondence;
- Must possess qualities of fairness, a strong work ethic, have the highest integrity; and must also maintain the confidentiality of law enforcement and investigatory records and other confidential information.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or GED supplemented by vocational training or coursework in business, paralegal, or law enforcement or a related field and two (2) years experience including public contact and clerical work, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Proficiency in computer skills including: Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft products (Word/Excel), database experience.
Upload a letter of interest including your e-mail address, resume and three professional references via the online application process.
Click here to view and apply to available Prosecutor's Office Postings:
Direct any further questions about the application procedure to:
Human Resources Manager
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
Justice Center, 9th Floor
1200 Ontario Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
ALL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES PASS A DRUG TEST AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION PRIOR TO BEING HIRED. THIS POSITION IS SUBJECT TO CIVIL SERVICE LAWS UNDER SECTION 124 OF THE OHIO REVISED CODE.
All materials must arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, June 24, 2013.
Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs to be accommodated, please contact the Human Resources Department.
Equal Opportunity Employer; Smoke-free and Drug-free Workplace
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications