Assistant Prosecuting Attorney - Criminal
|Title:||Assistant Prosecuting Attorney - Criminal|
Job Title: Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Department: Criminal Division
Reports To: Unit Supervisor Salary: commensurate with experience
FUNCTION: Assistant Prosecutors represent the State of Ohio in criminal matters. Assistant Prosecutors practice before the Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court and Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court.
- Make contact with victims, witnesses and police officers for trial preparation;
- Participate in pretrial conferences with defense counsel and at times the Court;
- Prepare and advocate the State’s position in pretrial motions;
- Prepare and respond to defense motions for discovery and pretrial motions;
- Participate in suppression hearings, forfeitures and other types of hearings dealing with both evidentiary and legal issues’
- Prepare and litigate the State’s case before a judge or jury;
- Attend and participate in sentencing hearings;
- Prepare and write the State’s brief in the Eighth District Court of Appeals and if need be, the Ohio Supreme Court.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Must have knowledge of computers and computer operating systems;
- Must possess excellent research and writing skills; requisite understanding of relevant legal issues;
- Must be available to meet and work outside the normal working hours for trial preparation and to advise law enforcement;
- Must be available to attend community events as necessary;
- Must be able to perform all other duties assigned, delegated or required of the Assistant Prosecuting Attorney as well as those prescribed by law;
- Must possess qualities of fairness, a strong work ethic, have the highest integrity; and must also maintain the confidentiality of law enforcement and investigatory records and other confidential information;
- Must be able to conducts business in accordance with federal statutes and guidelines, the Ohio Revised Code, and the Ohio Administrative Code.
Juris Doctorate; licensed and in good standing to practice law in the State of Ohio;
Upload a letter of interest including your e-mail address, resume, writing sample and three professional references via the online application process.
Click here to view and apply to available Prosecutor's Office Postings:
Direct any further questions about the application procedure to:
Human Resources Manager
Position Open Until Filled
ALL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES PASS A DRUG TEST AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION PRIOR TO BEING HIRED.
Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs to be accommodated, please contact the Human Resources Department. This position is non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as amended relative to overtime compensation.
Equal Opportunity Employer; Smoke-free and Drug-free Workplace
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications