Job Title: Investigator Department: Investigation Unit
Reports To: Unit Supervisor Salary: $34,984 to $41,980.50
FUNCTION: The purpose of this classification is to investigate criminal, civil and probate cases; to facilitate adjudication of cases by assisting prosecutors with case information, locating of victims and witnesses, and providing other functions related to investigations.
- Conducts investigations; locates case files; coordinates and executes search warrants; collects, documents, and logs evidence during searches;
- Serves subpoenas;
- Locates victims and witnesses and takes statements; conducts interviews of suspects, witnesses, victims, and inmates;
- Gathers and preserves evidence for forensic examination;
- Provides investigative and technical assistance to law enforcement agencies;
- Testifies in court regarding suppression hearings, motions, trials and sentencing;
- Prepares investigative reports to assist Prosecutors in completing case files;
- Communicates with a variety of members of the public, family members, outside and County agencies, witnesses, suspects, law enforcement agencies, attorneys, advocate groups, and other investigators;
- Attends and participates in group meetings and trainings; and
- Performs all other duties assigned, delegated or required of the Investigator as well as those prescribed by law.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Requires the ability to perform basic level of data analysis including the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize and/or reference data, statutes and/or guidelines and/or group, rank, investigate and problem solve;.
- Ability to comprehend a variety of informational documents including case files, subpoenas, bank records, personal checks, financial records, police records, lab reports and results, investigative and other reports, vehicle titles, handwriting exemplars, written statements and interviews, and emails;
- Ability to prepare emails, investigative reports, expense reports, diagrams, vehicle mileage reports, and other job related documents using prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction and style;
- Ability to use and interpret basic medical, legal, counseling, and financial terminology;
- Ability to communicate and to develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff, family members, witnesses, victims, suspects, attorneys, law enforcement personnel, co-workers, the general public, supervisor and co-workers;
- Must possess qualities of fairness, a strong work ethic, have the highest integrity; and must also maintain the confidentiality of law enforcement and investigatory records and other confidential information;
- Must be able to conduct business in accordance with federal statutes and guidelines, the Ohio Revised Code, and the Ohio Administrative Code.
High School diploma or GED supplemented with vocational coursework or technical training in law enforcement or criminology or a related field and two (2) years previous experience in law enforcement and performing investigations; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Upload a letter of interest including your e-mail address, resume and three professional references via the online application process.
Click here to view and apply to available Prosecutor's Office Postings:
Direct any further questions about the application procedure to:
Human Resources Manager
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
Justice Center, 9th Floor
1200 Ontario Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
ALL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES PASS A DRUG TEST AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION PRIOR TO BEING HIRED. THIS POSITION IS SUBJECT TO CIVIL SERVICE LAWS UNDER SECTION 124 OF THE OHIO REVISED CODE.
All materials must arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. Monday, May 20, 2013.
Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs to be accommodated, please contact the Human Resources Department.
Equal Opportunity Employer; Smoke-free and Drug-free Workplace
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications