Assistant Prosecuting Attorney - Major Drug
|Title:||Assistant Prosecuting Attorney - Major Drug|
Job Title: Assistant Prosecuting Attorney - Department: Major Drug Offense (MDO)
Reports To: Unit Supervisor Salary: $66,124.00
FUNCTION: Major Drug Assistant Prosecutors represent the State of Ohio in Major Drug Offense cases. Major Drug Assistant Prosecutors practice before the Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court, the Eighth District Court of Appeals and the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Prepare and litigate the State’s Major Drug cases before a judge or jury;
- Make contact with victims, witnesses and law enforcement agencies for trial preparation;
- Participate in pretrial conferences with defense counsel and at times the Court;
- Research and prepare or respond to pre-trial motions and advocate the State’s position at oral hearings;
- Research and respond to defense motions for discovery and advocate the State’s position at oral hearings;
- Participate in suppression hearings, forfeitures and other types of hearings dealing with both evidentiary and legal issues;
- Attend and participate in sentencing hearings;
- Research and prepare briefs in the Eighth District Court of Appeals and, if necessary, the Ohio Supreme Court.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Must be available to meet and work outside the normal working hours for trial preparation and to advise law enforcement;
- Must be available to meet with detectives outside normal working hours when necessary;
- Demonstrated success as a prosecutor in all aspects of felony litigation;
- Preferred experience (20+) trials as a “first chair” prosecutor in criminal felony jury trials;
- Preferred experience (10+) trials as a “second chair” prosecutor in high level drug trafficking jury trials;
- Must possess excellent research and writing skills; requisite understanding of relevant constitutional law and criminal procedure; specifically, search and seizure.
- Demonstrated success in dealing with detectives, representatives of the county regional forensic laboratory, and other outside agencies;
- Must be able to performs all other duties assigned, delegated or required of the Major Drug Assistant Prosecuting Attorney as well as those prescribed by law;
- Must possess qualities of fairness, a strong work ethic, have the highest integrity; and must also maintain the confidentiality of law enforcement and investigatory records and other confidential information;
- Must be able to conduct business in accordance with federal statutes and guidelines, the Ohio Revised Code, and the Ohio Administrative Code.
Juris Doctorate; licensed and in good standing to practice law in the State of Ohio;
Upload a letter of interest including your e-mail address, resume, writing sample and three professional references via the online application process.
Click here to view and apply to available Prosecutor's Office Postings:
Direct any further questions about the application procedure to:
Human Resources Manager
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
Justice Center, 9th Floor
1200 Ontario Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
All materials must arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, September 25 2013.
ALL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES PASS A DRUG TEST AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION PRIOR TO BEING HIRED.
Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs to be accommodated, please contact the Human Resources Department. This position is non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, as amended relative to overtime compensation.
Equal Opportunity Employer; Smoke-free and Drug-free Workplace
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications