Legal Secretary 2 - MTU
|Title:||Legal Secretary 2 - MTU|
|Department:||Major Trial Unit|
Job Title: Legal Secretary 2 Department: Major Trial Unit
Reports To: Unit Supervisor Salary: $29,628 to $35,554.00
ALL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES PASS A DRUG TEST AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION PRIOR TO BEING HIRED. THIS POSITION IS SUBJECT TO CIVIL SERVICE LAWS UNDER SECTION 124 OF THE OHIO REVISED CODE.
FUNCTION: The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of legal secretarial work in support in the preparation, processing, coordination, tracking and filing of cases in the Major Trial Unit. This position also assists the Major Trial supervisor in coordinating training sessions and the continuing education of the Assistant Prosecuting Attorneys.
- Prepares, coordinates and tracks the progression of legal documents through the office; proofs legal; verifies information; processes department reports; reviews prepared material to ensure documents are in proper format and contain all necessary portions or related documents for court acceptance.
- Types, transcribes and/or composes various documents; enters data into a spreadsheet, databases and applications; reviews, updates, maintains and tracks electronic and hardcopy files.
- Inputs/updates, retrieves, deletes, scans, copies and faxes documents and associated information; prepares and categorizes document content to open and log case files and initiates and tracks assignments/case files.
- Performs back-up as a Front Desk Receptionist; assists and responds to requests for information,; sorts and distributes incoming and outgoing mail; schedules and assists with meetings.
- Performs all other duties assigned, delegated or required of the Legal Secretary 2 as well as those prescribed by law.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Ability to comprehend a variety of informational documents including case files, motions and other legal filings, closed cases, discovery, emails, forms, reports, memos, and correspondence.
- Ability to comprehend a variety of reference books and manuals including computer software manuals and policies and procedure manuals.
- Ability to conduct case-tracking, prepare timesheets, and other reports, close cases according to policy, schedule hearings, type, copy and file legal filings, including discovery, motions, correspondence, and other job-related documents using prescribed format and in conformance with all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction and style.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with Judges, bailiffs, Court staff and a variety of individuals within and outside the Office.
- Ability to use and interpret basic legal terminology and language.
- Ability to communicate with the public, co-workers, supervisors, attorneys, victims and family members, and employees and managers of other departments.
- Must possess qualities of fairness, a strong work ethic, have the highest integrity; and must also maintain the confidentiality of law enforcement and investigatory records and other confidential information;
- Must be able to conduct business in accordance with federal statutes and guidelines, the Ohio Revised Code, and the Ohio Administrative Code.
High school diploma or GED, supplemented vocational coursework or technical training in business, paralegal studies, or law enforcement or a related field and three (3) years of experience including public contact and secretarial work, preferably in a law office; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Upload a letter of interest including your e-mail address, resume, and three professional references via the online application process.
Click here to view and apply to available Prosecutor's Office Postings:
Direct any further questions about the application procedure to:
Human Resources Manager
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
Justice Center, 9th Floor
1200 Ontario Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
All materials must arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. Monday, May 13, 2013.
Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs to be accommodated, please contact the Human Resources Department.
Equal Opportunity Employer; Smoke-free and Drug-free Workplace
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications