Legal Secretary - Tax
|Title:||Legal Secretary - Tax|
Job Title: Legal Secretary-Tax
Department: Civil Division- Tax Foreclosure Unit
Reports To: Unit Supervisor
FUNCTION: Employees in this job perform a variety of legal secretarial duties such as preparing legal documents and correspondence, maintaining legal files, and providing information to others. The work requires knowledge of legal, secretarial and office practices.
- Maintains legal files (both paper & electronic); prepares and sets up files, organizes documents and files documents in designated order; retrieves/replaces files;
- Prepares, types, enters, proofreads and processes legal and administrative correspondence and documents;
- Adheres to legal document standards to ensure proper format and completeness for court acceptance;
- Communicates with clients, opposing counsel, courts, law enforcement agencies, elected/public officials, community development organizations, governmental organizations and the general public;
- Updates case information, scans documents, prepares answers, conducts parcel and title work research;
- Provides reception desk support as needed;
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls; responds to inquiries;
- Inputs, retrieves, updates and deletes information using computerized databases;
- Verifies information for accuracy and completeness;
- Assists with projects for supervisor, assistant prosecuting attorneys and the Mortgage Fraud Unit which includes the creation of spreadsheets, memos, and/or power point presentations;
- Performs all other duties assigned, delegated or required of the Legal Secretary-Tax as well as those prescribed by law; and
- Conducts business in accordance with federal statutes and guidelines, the Ohio Revised Code, and the Ohio Administrative Code.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to record and deliver information to explain procedures and to follow instructions;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude and appearance and has excellent customer service skills;
- Ability to comprehend a variety of legal and court documents including complaints, answers, rulings, judgments, affidavits, motions, appeals, subpoenas, court dockets, mail, forms, reports, memos and correspondence; and
- Must possess qualities of fairness, a strong work ethic, have the highest integrity; and must also maintain the confidentiality of law enforcement and investigatory records and other confidential information.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or equivalent with one year or more of administrative experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Proficiency in computer skills including: Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft products (Word/Excel), database experience.
Upload a letter of interest including your e-mail address, resume and three professional references via the online application process.
Click here to view and apply to available Prosecutor's Office Postings:
Direct any further questions about the application procedure to:
Human Resources Manager
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
Justice Center, 9th Floor
1200 Ontario Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
ALL JOB OFFERS ARE MADE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES PASS A DRUG TEST AND A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION PRIOR TO BEING HIRED. THIS POSITION IS SUBJECT TO CIVIL SERVICE LAWS UNDER SECTION 124 OF THE OHIO REVISED CODE.
All materials must arrive no later than 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, March 12, 2013.
Reasonable accommodation is available to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability that needs to be accommodated, please contact the Human Resources Department.
Equal Opportunity Employer; Smoke-free and Drug-free Workplace
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications